Locational Setting of HP University Shimla
HP University Shimla came into existence on 22nd July, 1970 by an act of Himachal Pradesh legislative Assembly. It is located in Summer-Hill which is 5Kms away from Shimla’s center. Summer-Hill is a serene place having a thick cover of coniferous forest.
HP University has a fine setting in the peaceful environs of Himalayas. Its eastern side has the main settlement of Shimla, whereas the western side of HP University has Prospect Hill (Kamna Devi Hill) and Tutu. The ‘Institute of Advanced Studies’ and ‘Tara Devi Hill’ lies towards the south of Shimla University. North view of Shimla University shows the snowy peaks of majestic Himalayas, as if it is highlighting the lofty ideals of HP University Shimla.
Goals, Objectives and History of HP University Shimla
Goals and objectives of HP University Shimla are:-
1. To emphasize the idea of unhindered inquiry to nurture free,
2. And logical thinking to be an abode of knowledge spreading out its culture, heritage and noble ideas.
Therefore, the mission of Shimla University captures the motto of this institution precisely i.e. “Those who are armed with knowledge, are skillful”.
HP University Shimla is making an tireless effort towards the goal of developing a higher educational system, which is authentic and socially useful. The higher education system of Shimla University is based on reasoning and objectivity, as well as intense continuance of researches. The aim of Shimla University’s to educate people through correspondence courses and formal teaching hence providing complete education to every individual. Finally, to sum-up, Himachal Pradesh University wants to play a leading role in the domain of education and research.
Important Areas Of Research Upheld By HP University
There are several areas where HP University is very inclined to encourage further research and development. They are as follows:-
1. Integrated Himalayan Studies
2. The Knowledge of biotechnology applied in the field of Forestry, Agriculture and Horticulture
3. Polymer Chemistry
4. Computational Physics
5. Sustainable Development
6. Tribal Studies
7. Human Resource Development
8. Clinical Psychology and Women Studies to name a few..
Faculities Functioning in HP University
A group of subjects which are similar in nature are called a particular faculty. Like Social Sciences include Sociology, Psychology, History and Anthropology. In all, there are twelve faculties run by Shimla University, e.g. Ayurveda, Commerce and Business Administration, Dental Sciences, Education, Law, Engineering, Life Sciences, Medical Sciences, Performing and Visual Arts etc.
Admissions in HP University Shimla
HP University Shimla follows a well-defined admission policy starting from under-graduate up to PhD courses. Admissions are done on the basic of merit and entrance test conducted by the University for all the Post-Graduate, Diploma and Certificate level courses.
Campus Teaching in Himachal Pradesh University
All the departments of Himachal Pradesh University are located in the campus itself expecting Ayurveda, Medical and Dental faculties. Very often we observed students discussing and putting forth their academic and other problems with their professors outside the class-rooms in the evenings that shows good communication between teacher and the taught.
Specialized Centers of Himachal Pradesh University
There are several specialized centers functioning in Himachal Pradesh University. To name a few are –
1. Nehru Study Center
2. Bio Informatics Center
3. Population Research Center
4. University Institute of information Technology
5. UGC Academic Staff College
6. Women’s Development Centers and so on.
Laurels of Shimla University
Shimla University has distinguished itself in different areas. It is thriving and prospering day by day. Hence, it would quite appropriate to tell the reader about several feats attained by HP University.
1. National Assessment and Accreditation Council has graded Shimla University as ‘A’ grade university.
2. HP University is first one to start distance education in the country.
3. Shimla University is providing free education to girls.
4. Many students of HP University qualify NET, GATE every year.
5. Shimla University’s Alumni are making their mark in every field.
6. It is organizing all the time seminars, workshops, conferences and symposium in every field.
7. Shimla University has a reserved seat for single girl child in each department.
8. Institute of Integrated Himalayan Studies of HP University is recognized by UGC as UGC-Center of Excellence.